How I schedule reading
Two weeks ago, while talking on the phone to a dear friend of mine, I shared my list of books this month and she teased me for having tons of free time to read. I told her that in reality, despite my best effort to stick with my plan to finish my list of to read books, I always end up reading less now compare before in our old house. One of the reason is the amount of distraction during the day till dawn (seriously, I'm losing afternoon sleep due to noise created by neighbors) what more reading time. I used to read any time of the day but now, all the reading happens at night when all the noise are gone and so far it works for me.
- I read before going to bed when my eyes are almost ready to close or when I accidentally woke up in the middle of the night. Few pages and I'm back to sleeping.
- I'm kinda weird when picking books. I usually base it on covers and that's the hardest part for me to do when I choose which book to read first. I came up with the solution of listing first the books then I loaded it into my e-book reader.
- I read in bed so I can easily change from reading to sleeping position.
- The number of pages per night will depend on how the story goes. There are times that I'm able to finish few chapters before my eyes give up. Sometimes, few pages.
- As they say "Life is too short to waste you time reading books you're not connecting with" but I still believe that all books even the bad ones deserved to be discover in order for me to appreciate those books that touches my heart.
- Night reading is exclusive to books. The rest of the day I try to squeeze in twitter, blog articles and new papers.
- I don't force myself to read when I'm not in the mood because I will end up rereading it and wasting precious time in the process.
Reading for me is personal. Having a specific time to get lost with a book is one of my favorite thing in the world. It feels awesome. It makes me understand and appreciate the world more. It makes me live a thousand lives.
I've been sharing monthly read here on the blog and I really enjoy sharing my thoughts about the books I read. I hope somehow it gives you idea on what to add to your list and what to avoid.